Monday, September 21, 2009

Rusting Technique

  

This is not my favorite style, I am just now a western kinda gal :)) but the theme for our shoebox project at my local stamping club last Friday was fall. The only fall saying I had was kinda western so there ya go. The real reason I am sharing this card is the rusting technique I used to make the oval sayings plaque. Some time back I had purchased some metal ovals that I loved. After using them up and not being able to find them again I decided I could make some. I punched mine from matt board then I used a brown marker on the edge but they really look like metal.

Here is how ya do it! First you will need some metal filings. If your hubby has a grinder he can make you some but if not try going to the local machine shop and ask if you can sweep some off there floor. Most of them will hand you a dustpan. Then just mix about 1 part metal filings with 2 parts black acrylic paint. Now you can paint whatever you want to look like rusted metal with that. Once it is dry mix 2 parts bleach with 1 part vinegar and paint it over your entire piece. Repeat this step until you have the desired amount of rust.



2 comments:

Lynn Stevens said...

Kewl Inka, I'm going to have to try this. The sweeping up is the only part that dosent sound fun!!

Barb said...

Great Idea Inka... thanx for sharing